The syllabus content is organised around five themes:
- My personal world
- Lifestyle and wellbeing
- My neighbourhood
- Media and technology
- Studying and my future
- Travel and tourism
All students take the following four examinations:
- Paper 1 Speaking in Spanish
- Paper 2 Listening and understanding in Spanish
- Paper 3 Reading and understanding in Spanish
- Paper 4 Writing in Spanish
The structure of the examination is as follows:
- Paper 1 Speaking: Students are assessed on their ability to communicate and interact effectively through speaking Spanish. The assessment covers three core tasks: a read aloud task, role play, and a picture-based task with conversation.
- Paper 2 Listening: Students are assessed on their understanding of spoken Spanish, and their ability to transcribe spoken Spanish into written Spanish. Foundation Tier assessment is 45 minutes and Higher Tier assessment is 60 minutes.
- Paper 3 Reading: Students are assessed on their understanding of written Spanish across a range of different text types, including advertisements, emails, letters, articles and literary texts. Foundation Tier assessment is 45 minutes. Higher Tier assessment is 1 hour.
- Paper 4 Writing: Students produce various responses of varying lengths to express facts, opinions and ideas in Spanish. Foundation Tier assessment is 1 hour and 10 minutes. Higher Tier assessment is 1 hour and 20 minutes.
The listening, reading and writing skills are assessed at the end of Year 11 as external examinations. The speaking skills are assessed in the Summer Term of Year 11. There is no controlled assessment in this subject.