At St Mary’s School, Cambridge almost all girls take core GCSEs/IGCSEs in English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Religious Studies, a Modern Foreign Language and Sciences (either Separate Sciences: Biology, Chemistry and Physics, three GCSE qualifications or Science Dual Award, two GCSE qualifications).
The only usual exceptions to this are students for whom English is an additional language, most of whom will be prepared for Cambridge English: First, and Cambridge English: Advanced, in Year 10 and Year 11 respectively.
In addition to the subjects above, most girls choose to study three or four optional subjects. The overall number of GCSEs/IGCSEs each student takes and the subjects she chooses will vary from individual to individual depending on her circumstances. Most girls take 10 subjects in total, some fewer, some more - selecting from our additional options and extension opportuntities.
Students have the opportunity to discuss choices in a meeting with a senior member of staff, who will help to decide on a suitable number and selection of subjects. Options should be carefully considered, bearing in mind future career aspirations, strengths and interests. For further information about a GCSE/IGCSE course, or to ask advice about its suitability, please discuss with teaching staff or the Head of Department for the specific subject.
Please do not hesitate to seek further advice by contacting me or any other member of the teaching staff should you need to do so. We are all very willing to help you with your decision-making process at such an important time.
Mr Stephen Seidler
Deputy Head: Academic
We encourage students to select a balanced programme, that reflects their unique abilities, interests and future aspirations. In addition to the core and optional subjects, all students undertake two non-examined subjects: PE (Physical Education) and PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education).
- Religious Studies
Depending on a student's first language, each girl will choose either:
- English Language and English Literature GCSEs1
- English as an Additional Language (EAL)
Students choose six options (including two or three Science subjects and at least one Modern Foreign Language):
- Three separate Science IGCSEs (Biology, Chemistry and Physics)
- Two Science IGCSEs (Science Double Award)
Modern Foriegn Languages
Choose between one and four different languages:
- Mandarin Chinese
More about core subjects
Students choose up to three optional subjects to make a total of 10:
The following additional subjects are taught outside curriculum time, and can be taken in addition to the subjects above:
- Additional Mathematics5
- Classical Greek
- Latin (Level 2 Certificate)
- If English is not your first language, participation in GCSE English Lanaguage and English Literature courses will be at the discretion of the Head of English and the Head of EAL.
- Computer Science can be chosen as one of the six options, but it can also be chosen as an additional seventh subject if a student has opted for a separate science.
- If English is not your first language, then one of your options may be English Language Support - please note this course does not offer a qualification.
- Students who have received Learning Support lessons in Year 7, Year 8 and Year 9 may opt to continue with these sessions in Year 10 and Year 11, please not this course does not offer a qualification.
- Only available to students who are in the top two Mathematics sets at the start of Year 10.