Year 10 conquer the challenge of the Bright Futures Business, Employability and Finance workshop.
As part of our extensive Careers and Future Skills Programme, Bright Futures Ltd were once again invited into school last term to give a very useful Business, Employability and Financial guidance workshop.
The event focused on developing employability skills, entrepreneurial abilities and financial acumen. Matt from Bright Futures was delighted with how the day went, saying:
“St Mary’s students surpassed all expectations as they enthusiastically participated in activities such as CV exploration, understanding desirable attributes, money management, public speaking exercises, business planning, and even risk-taking within an entrepreneurial context”.
He was particularly impressed by the students attentiveness to instructions and their overall attitude to learning and taking on board new information, which he described as, "nothing short of exceptional”.
The students found this both a beneficial and an enjoyable experience and were pleased that they had learned more about skills needed in the workplace.
This is how they summed up their experiences on the day:
- I learnt what employers look for in your CV
- I liked finding out more about CVs and the academic requirements for certain jobs. It was interesting to learn that CV processing tends to be done with technology/robots. (Applicant Tracking Systems)
- Presenting our ideas was a challenge I enjoyed. Learning financial terms gave me a sense of understanding about what to expect in the future, which was a relief.
- Developing presentation skills made me feel more confident in doing something I previously felt nervous about.
- I enjoyed planning and presenting our business ideas.
Year 10 students will have another invaluable opportunity to build on their careers and future skills with our Year 11 Employability Day in September. As ever, we will be indebted to the variety of local employers who will be coming into St Mary’s to share their expertise and help prepare the students for their next steps.