Sports Awards Dinner
The eagerly anticipated Sports Awards Dinner on Monday evening did not disappoint; not only did we hear from Mrs Jackie Ewing, Head of PE, on some of the exceptional sporting achievements of our students throughout this year, we also heard from Miss Nicky Lees, Head of Modern Foreign Languages, about her quite startling personal challenge of this year. After dinner, special guests Jo Jackson, three-time Olympic swimmer and Bronze medallist, and Danielle Brown (MBE), Paralympic archer, introduced themselves to the audience, and hosted an insightful and inspiring Q&A session with the girls. After the Q&A session it was time for the awards to be presented – congratulations to everyone who received recognition of their talent and efforts this year. You can see some of the special mentions from Mrs Jackie Ewing as follows:
- Dedicated goal keeper: Amelia S. (Year 11)
- Top goal scorer: Francesca K. (Year 9)
- Star shooter: Cristina H.P. (Year 9)
- Team captain: Maddie A. (Year 8) and Florence B-C. (Year 10)
- Shot: Charlotte D. (Year 11) – 11.16m, beating the previous record, held for 24 years, by 2.11 metres
- Long jump: Eleanor M. (Year 8) – 4.34m, beating the previous record, held for 24 years, by 25cm
- High jump: Maya B. (Year 7) – she beat the previous record, held for 24 years, by 7cm
- High jump: Jenny S. (Year 8) – she equalled the 1992 record of 1.35cm
- Javelin: Poppy E. (Year 8) – she beat the previous record, held for 20 years, by 4.80m
- Javelin: Emma W. (Year 10) – she beat the previous record, held for nine years, by 10.53m
- 1500m: Matilda T. (Year 9) – she beat the previous record by 18 seconds
- 1500m: Beth W. (Year 10) – 5.13m, beating the previous record, held for 17 years, by 2 seconds
County, regional, and beyond
Students who performed at county, regional or above in their sport have also been recognised for their exceptional achievements:
- Holly T. (Year 9), finished 8th in the England Youth Fencing Championship 2017 in the U15 Girls Foil
- Emma W. (Year 10), qualified for the English Schools National Athletics Competition for javelin and is currently ranked 4th in the country for U17 J600 javelin
- Francesca K. (Year 9), succeeded in getting through to one of the national performance centres in hockey
- Amelia S. (Year 11) trained and performed with one of the national performance centres in hockey
- Matilda T. (Year 9) qualified and ran at the English Schools National Cross Country Championship
- Daisy M. (Year 10) qualified to represent the East of England U18 squad for the National Championships in 1* eventing
The Ingrid Hoffman trophy for the all-round sports woman in the Sixth Form was awarded to: Annie Q., Lower Sixth student and 2017/2018 Games Captain.
The Burleigh Cup for the Year 11 sports woman was awarded to Emily H.
The team of the year was awarded to the Year 7 Olympic Cup winners.
Congratulations to every student who has participated in any sporting pursuits this year and warm congratulations to each of the girls whose efforts were recognised and celebrated at the Sports Awards Dinner.
Please click here to view the gallery of photos from the event.